Thursday, May 19, 2016

Review: A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas


Title: A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #2)

Author: Sarah J. Maas

Rating: 4 Stars

Note: There are mild spoilers for A Court of Thorns and Roses in this review but there are NO SPOILERS for A Court of Mist and Fury (the current book). Only brief spoilers of the last novel. You can read my review of A Court of Thorns and Roses HERE

I didn't expect to enjoy this novel. While I thought A Court of Thorns and Roses was a vast improvement over Maas's debut, Throne of Glass, I wasn't a die-hard fan. The former was a re-telling of "Beauty and the Beast" with a romance that was simply too easy. Tamlin never charmed me, despite his kindness towards Feyre, but I'll admit to being curious about A Court of Mist and Fury, if only because I was fascinated by the after-effects of Feyre breaking Tamlin's curse. This sequel is darker and far more mature than A Court of Thorns and Roses. Feyre isn't a human girl trapped in a faerie court; she's Fey herself, powerful beyond measure and terrified of her past.

I always find that there is a fine line between fantasy and realistic fiction. So many circumstances which are serious and deeply worrying in realistic fiction can be explained away by magic or otherworldly nature in fantasy and I've always been wary of this. Feyre and Tamlin are both suffering from PTSD, of sorts, following their escape from Amarantha's court. While they are very much in love, their fears of the past manifest themselves in different ways. Essentially, this means that Tamlin refuses to let Feyre leave his court, trapping her within the walls of the Spring Court and keeping her in the dark regarding the war brewing outside their borders. After killing innocent lives to save Tamlin, Feyre knows that she is capable of unspeakable things and Tamlin's behavior--his refusal to see reason and give her freedom--causes her to spiral. Their relationship is volatile, full of emotional abuse and depression so if you're a fan of Tamlin, likely you'll hate him by the end of this novel. It's hard to watch and it often made me uncomfortable, if only because it's difficult to discuss issues such as PTSD, depression, or abuse within the context of a fantasy novel with egotistical males and magic free-flowing.

Thankfully, Rhys arrives to whisk Feyre away to his court, making sure that she upholds her side of the bargain. And Rhys is an absolute sweetheart. You can tell that he cares for Feyre, deeply, and as the two spend more and more time together, we grow to see that Rhys is a far different being than who we met in A Court of Thorns and Roses. I want to make it clear that though the synopsis hints at a love triangle, there is absolutely not one at all. Feyre breaks ties with Tamlin when she joins Rhys's court and their romance is a slow-burn. It isn't the main purpose of the plot and I appreciated that, but nevertheless the growing relationship between Feyre and Rhys is important and beautifully written. I fell hard for their love story and will admit to have been converted to a die-hard shipper. Oops!

Rhys's court is complex and stunning. Readers are in for a series of surprises when it comes to this High Lord and I enjoyed uncovering all his layers, not to mention meeting his close friends and becoming attached to them, as well. The secondary characters are all well-developed and Maas effortlessly expands her host of characters. It is often difficult to develop a love for more than a couple of secondary characters after their absence in the first novel but Maas doesn't struggle with this at all. We also re-visit Feyre's sisters and I enjoyed witnessing those relationships grow and change, shift and be re-built.

The plot of A Court of Mist and Fury is fascinating and edge-of-your-seat worthy. The Fey lands are on the brink of war and Amarantha's court was only the beginning. The world-building is vastly expanded upon in this novel as we travel beyond the Spring Court, not only to visit Rhys's court but others as well. Moreover, as Feyre tests the extent of her new powers, she makes new friends (and enemies) along the way.

This novel is just so good at striking that perfect balance between characterization and plot--I've come away from this utterly in love with all of the characters but also unable to stop turning the plot points in my mind, searching for clues I might have missed. Truly, this is an incredible improvement upon Maas's previous novel in this series and I am so glad I gave this series another shot. The romance is butterfly-inducing, the plot is complex and compelling, the characters are well-developed and deep, and the ending is a torment but not in the same way a cliffhanger is. All I know is that I'll be pre-ordering the sequel when it becomes available because I just have to know how this is going to end. A Court of Thorns and Roses may not have impressed but this sequel more than made up for that--tenfold.

11 comments:

  1. I'm so sad that Tamlin got a character face lift in this book. I don't know if I should read this now or what. I'm having flashbacks of feelings of betrayal from Shatter ME.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so agree with you. I think she just miss the most important aspect of the first book LOVE!! How can you love someone with that kind of power even daying for it and in three months just could stand it. I understant the scarves but it shouldn't be a reason for love each other even more!! And try to help each other to heal!!

      Delete
  2. I was a fan of Tamlin in the first one Keertana, and I tend to be super loyal to whomever a character falls for first, so I think I'm going to struggle a touch here. That being said though, I did thoroughly enjoy Rhys, and I don't think I'll have too much trouble switching sides if Tamlin proves himself to be a real a-hole. I'm glad she breaks ties with Tamlin completely before anything starts with Rhys though, she's pretty good about not drawing her any kind of almost-triangle out and I really appreciate that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read anything by this author, but I'm glad to hear you liked this one much more than the first! It's great when an author can do plot AND characters really well.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy to see that you thoroughly enjoyed this one Keertana, I seem to be the black sheep when it comes to this book as I did have a lot of issues with it. But like you I did end up liking the secondary characters that were bought into the mix and of course that ending of the book left me wanting more, how could Maas end things that way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah! I am so glad you liked this so much Keertana! I don't think I've read a review for this one that's below four stars, so I am so excited to experience it for myself. Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! ♥

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only read Throne of Glass by her and need to continue that one. I was curious about this series, but cautious... but if the sequel is this good... I'm in! Making sure this one is on my wishlist. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am confused, this takes place in our world too? When you mentioned fiction

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually didn't like Tamlin in the first book at all and there was a dealbreaker halfway through the book that made me just stop reading. I never went back to it. But now that I know how things turn out, I might just reconsider. I'm glad you enjoyed this one so much, you make it sound so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the first book of her other series, the second as well in fact, but I don't have this one but heard a lot of great things about it. I need to try her work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. To be honest, I never considered giving this series a shot. I heard so many mixed things about Maas' previous series and it was young adult so I just never bothered. I'm seriously thinking about picking up this series after your lovely review, Keertana! It's not often that a main character can switch men and have me root for the romance, but it sounds like I would here. Must look up first book and see when the last releases. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers and I read, reply, and appreciate every one of the comments I receive!(: If you're a fellow blogger, please leave a link to your blog - I'd love to drop by!

Unfortunately, this is now an award-free blog. I simply do not have the time to respond and forward on the award, but I truly appreciate the nomination regardless.